It’s been a little while since I’ve blogged about it but I wanted to continue with documenting the progress through the production of Radio Silence.
Below is my final demo of the track. I hope you’ll agree that it’s a much slicker number following a few subtle changes to the arrangement.
I made the following changes:
- Refined the drums, including simplifying the drums in the verses a little – the three tracks I identified for my critical listening were very helpful in working out what to do in the choruses
- I kept elements that I liked and moved the tom hits to preceding verse 2 where they work really nicely
- I got rid of the things that didn’t work - as much as I liked the feel of the drumming in the old 2nd verse, it just wasn’t working so it had to go
- Rearranging the building blocks of the song can make a massive difference to the feel and momentum of a track. I reduced the 1st chorus to half length and inserted a small break before we hit the verse again. The 3rd and 4th verses get split up with another chorus stuck between them. The final chorus starts nice and pared down, has a nice fill in the middle and thunders through to the outro which has been tidied up so that it flows much better
- There’s still work to be done; the guitar in verse 4 needs to be revised as it’s not really working. The track also needs a proper bass line and a couple of interesting guitar lines to add a little sparkle
I’m happy now that this will form the template for the final version which will be on my EP to be released later in the year.