Monday, 21 March 2011

The most awkward question

I went to a gig this week with a friend and a couple of their mates. Everything was going well until I was asked "So, what kind of music are you into?"

Given my enthusiasm for the subject it should be a question that I revel in, however, I always feel my heart sink as I've never been able to come up with a satisfactory response. I inevitably either over simplify things by naming a couple of "popular" bands and feel that I've misrepresented myself (and excluded 80% of my music collection) or talk about obscure bands and sound like a music snob*.

I wanted to give a very brief snapshot of my musical tastes to the readers of this blog and it took a great deal of effort to narrow down my favourite artists to just eight bands. Whilst I'm happy with my list it fails to acknowledge my love of NZ rock bands, early 90's dance music, prog metal or Billy Joel. I hate to be pigeonholed; there are genres of which I am a huge fan, but there will be respected and successful artists within them that I can't stand but there are artist whom I love, despite liking nothing else comparable.

Do you have the same problem, or have you found a suitable response to this awkward question?

*Proof that I'm not a music snob: I still know every lyric on East 17's album Steam and I reckon that Papa Roach are one of the finest live bands around.

1 comment:

  1. I once saw a China Drum T-shirt that summed it up nicely "I like both kinds of music. Punk AND rock". Although in my case I am one-dimensional enough to just say 'American Pop Punk'.

    ReplyDelete