My band writes music with the primary goal of playing live shows. So, with this in mind, when we recorded our recent EP, we played pretty much as we would do live. The only potential downside with this is that our tracks tend to turn out a little on the long side when compared to commercial ideals.
So I got out my hatchet and hacked out 1'45" from the original mix, bringing it down to a more radio-friendly 3'48". In essence all I've done is remove a few bars from the intro, between the first two verses and then removed the bridge and third chorus before closing with a truncated outro.
In the digital age it's almost as simple as that, however, in order to keep the track fluid it takes a little bit of effort to make the edits seamless. If I would have just stuck the outro on the end of the second chorus then I would have lost the bass run that leads into the solo, drum fills would have been out of context and the decay from cymbal crashes would have been lost.
This is the first time I've ever done a remix of a completed track and it was a very useful educational experience. I got to where I wanted to in the end, but not in the most efficient manner. What I mean to say is that if I were to do this again, I'd do it differently and I have learned from my mistakes!