Monday, 28 February 2011

Finding the words

I've just written an entire song (working title Radio Silence) without picking up an instrument. It's not like I have a formula for writing, but this was a first for me. I've written music to lyrics before, but this time I knew exactly how the song would sound as I was writing.

Lyrics have always been a big challenge for me and many projects get abandoned due to my struggle to find the right words. I finally decided last week that I needed to address my approach to lyric writing and adopt some new tactics. I had a good chat with Mrs Dog who suggested that I should carry a notebook with me at all times and write down any ideas I get about subjects and interesting words and phrases that I come across. In hindsight it seems foolish that I'd not adopted a similar approach before.

By the end of the first evening I had a good collection of ideas and was already brainstorming on a couple of topics. I then came up with the first line You've got the perfect face for radio and the whole idea just grew from there.

Hopefully I'll get into the kennel this week and knock up a quick demo once I've worked out how to play it.

No comments:

Post a Comment